Looking after your candle

3 simple housekeeping rules for a healthy, happy candle. 


It is very important to keep your wick trimmed to 2.5cm. It is suggested that you trim your wick for every 4 hours of burn time. Be sure when trimming the wick that the flame has been fully extinguished and left to cool. Trim the wick before re-lighting. When the wick is too long it can result in excessive smoke/ soot, a shorter lifespan of your candle and a scorched jar.

Burn time:

If you burn your candle for any longer than 4 hours at a time this will lead to carbon collecting at the top of the wick. This is called mushrooming and can cause the wick to become unstable, the flame to get too large (fire hazard) and smoke to be released. If you do find that your flames are burning too high make sure your wick is trimmed to the recommended length. Furthermore, every different type of wax has its heat limits. Therefore, if you have your candle lit for more than 4 hours you run the risk of losing the optimal capabilities of the candle. By this we mean that when the candle wax gets to a certain heat it’s ability to throw scent will start to decrease, by having your wick lit for longer your wax is more prone to reaching a higher heat, resulting in a less effective scent throw through your home (which nobody wants)! So make sure that if you want the best possible results you’re looking after your candle properly and allowing it to rest every now and then!


For safety ensure that before you light a candle it has been placed on a heat-resistant surface and once the candle is lit, don’t attempt to move it as it will get hot. Make sure you keep the candle in sight the entire time it is lit and away from any soft furnishings i.e curtains or blankets to avoid a risk of fire catching. Candles left lit longer than 4 hours are more likely to cause a glass jar and/or the wax to heat up to a high temperature, causing a flashpoint. Than container can then explode as a direct result of the constant contact to a hot flame. Another reason is soot can build up and clog the wick also resulting in an explosive candle that shatters the glass.

Hopefully these three simple tips can help you to look after your candles and get the best results when lighting them!


All the best,

S xx